[ubuntu-in] DVD Region code

Jinoy Jose jinoyjose at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:47:44 BST 2008

Hi,
I use Ubuntu Hardy Heron latest version.
I got a DVD from Germany. When I inserted it into my laptop, the icon
appeared on the desktop, but none of my players, VLC, Xine, Movieplayer,
Realplayer could play it. All crashed the moment I clicked play. I tried to
use the same DVD in a Mac machine. It then asked for a region code change;
and it worked in that machine.

This made me read up on region codes. My request here is, is there any way
by which I can bypass this code? I came to know that the region code for
Europe (Germany) is 2. How could I play this DVD in my laptop?

Help me

Jose