[ubuntu-in] aptoncd error '[Errno 28] No space left on device "

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:35:49 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Ramnarayan. K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> was trying to use aptoncd to make a copy of all the stuff i have installed.
>
> but get this error "[Errno 28] No space left on device"
> the target location has about 7 gig of space.
>
> I had enabled the create metadata option.
>
>  but my / has no space ??
> /dev/sda7             4.6G  4.4G     0 100% /
>
> so could this be a problem
>

> Question: 1. apton during the process did not tell me how big an iso it was
> going to create
> 2. Do i need to keep the aptoncd created iso within dvd size ranges (say 4.5
> gb)
>
> searched google the the string aptoncd error '[Errno 28] No space left on
> device " and one possible error was because the target file was above 4 gig
> in size ??
>

> if the error is because there is no space on / left can i make a new /tmp
> partition and if so how big should /tmp be

I don't understand why you would need a separate /tmp partition. After
all you have 7GB on your / partition. THere are chances that / is
being filled while creating the meta packages and then it also tried
to write ISO. Try selecting some other destination for ISO like your
other FAT partitions etc.

Also I think poking aptoncd on this issue developer would be good idea.

By the way, DVDs don't come only in size of 4.7 GB. A double layer DVD
is 8.54 GB and double layered double sided is 17 GB

Onkar