[ubuntu-in] DVD Region code

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:27:20 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Jinoy Jose <jinoyjose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I use Ubuntu Hardy Heron latest version.
> I got a DVD from Germany. When I inserted it into my laptop, the icon
> appeared on the desktop, but none of my players, VLC, Xine, Movieplayer,
> Realplayer could play it. All crashed the moment I clicked play. I tried to
> use the same DVD in a Mac machine. It then asked for a region code change;
> and it worked in that machine.
>
> This made me read up on region codes. My request here is, is there any way
> by which I can bypass this code? I came to know that the region code for
> Europe (Germany) is 2. How could I play this DVD in my laptop?

Most DVD players on linux can use libdvdcss2 to circumvent the
encryption on DVD. The legal status of this library is different in
different countries. ex. In US all types of circumvention of
encryption is illegal, where as in Europe it is allowed for personal
purpose.

Check following page to know where to get libdvdcss2.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#With%20individual%20packages

Onkar