[ubuntu-in] Acer 5052

Biswajit Dutta Baruah indianorthodoc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 06:18:39 BST 2008

Ok guys,

Here are a few problems that I ran into trying to install Ubuntu Hardy
on an Acer 5052. Tried some help in the irc channel but failed to make
any progress.

Here goes:

System details: AMD Turion. x64 architecture. 512 ram. 120 GB HDD. ATI
graphics card. Has win xp on one partition and works well. Got infected
with several viruses. Attempted removal. Success. Infection again. Gto
fed up and wishes to try ubuntu linux.

Problem 1: Unable to connect to the internet. The net connection at my
workplace is thru airtel adsl modem thats distributed by a Lan router
(wired). one Pc on win xp and another laptop on win vista connect
successfully. My laptop with ubuntu hardy connects as well. But the acer
laptop doesn't. Tried dhcp, manual configuration but nothing works.
Attempted direct connection to the airtel modem but that doesn;t help as
well. THe ethernet card is realtek (RTL 8139).

Problem 2: acpi=off option to run the laptop or even install ubuntu. But
this means he is unable to shut off the system, it hangs. Am aware that
acer_acpi needs to be installed. But without net connection this is not
possible. However since the deb files can be downloaded from the
repositories. I was wondering if that would help restore acpi
functionality. The worry were the dependencies! acer_acpi has been
superseded with acer_wmi in ibex but thats good two months away.

Sorry about being so verbose, but in my case the quiet=off most of the
time! Help needed, critical to get his system going otherwise he is
likely to fall back on win xp!!

Cheers,

orthodoc