[ubuntu-in] Dell and Ubuntu!

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:54:37 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Biswajit Dutta Baruah
<indianorthodoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Onkar: Well, my point was that Vostro is listed under the buisness
> category alongwith XPS, Latitude and Precison while Inspiron/XPS under
> the home( Home/Home & Office, rather - whatever that means) category in
> the Dell website. If Dell is going to offer Vostro laptops with ubuntu
> pre loaded I will be very happy compared to all those blissfully unaware
> around me. Unfortunately even as I write the laptop in question (Vostro
> A series )is mentioned but cannot be configured, and so I assume cannot
> be ordered. Also the fact that it will be unsupported will not find many
> takers, especially in India. SaaS is a new concept, and it will be some
> time before people here adapt to it. But I completely agree that ubuntu
> is a wonderful OS and I use nothing but ubuntu at home and in the
> hospital.

May be Dell India website works differently that Dell US. I can see a
button 'Request a quotation' on website. So it may not be possible to
order immediately.

I am not sure how you reached conclusion 'Not supported'.
Even though I have never bought any Dell laptop, AFAIK Dell laptop's
build quality is far better than most other vendors in India. So may
be there won't be many support calls.

Onkar