[ubuntu-in] List of new features in Intrepid Ibex

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 08:15:34 BST 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Vishal Rao <vishalrao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, they made a good "intrepid" decision (hopefully final) about
> moving to kernel .27 - I was looking forward to better hassle-free
> wireless support on my HP tablet with Broadcom wifi chipset, but after
> looking at the thread in the link below for Hardy that proposed update
> works well for me. Now Intrepid looks like it will be a "boring"
> release especially if there isn't OpenOffice.org 3.0 or Firefox 3.1 by
> default :-) I really hope they live up to the code name "intrepid" and
> make some bolder decisions about the default packages...

Firefox 3.1 won't even be in beta stage by the time intrepid released.
So there is no chance you will have it in intrepid except in case of
backports.

OOo is already in beta. So if they make same decision for OOo as they
did for FF3 in hardy it will be good.

And yes, moving kernel to 2.6.27 is indeed nice move. Apart from
wireless it also means better webcam support as gspca drivers are in
kernel now and will be available out of box.

The one feature that is not mentioned there is that gstreamer has
support for DVD menus now with a new plugin called resindvd. This
means new users don't have to use mplayer or vlc for playing DVD. Also
VCD plugin has been ported to gstreamer 0.10.

Onkar