[ubuntu-in] ubuntu India website redesign

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:51:53 BST 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to sum up the points raised in this discussion and propose
a solution.
1. Old team members feel that wiki is the way to go. I am one of them.
New team members feel that some CMS like Drupal is the way to go.
2. Old team members feel we should use existing infrastructure and
make Ubuntu-IN website as beautiful as possible.
New team members feel that existing infrastructure is not flexible enough.
3. Old team members feel that there isn't enough contribution to content.
New team members feel that old members are ranting.

Proposed solution:
Please note that I agree with almost all points presented by Aanjhan,
Parth and Somyadip. So this is my point of view. I am trying to
propose a solution that will be acceptable to all.
1. The reason behind many pages being locked is a bot attack that
happened long time ago. Please contact me on #ubuntu-in and I will
unlock specific pages.
2. I myself feel the need to restructure pages. Currently the
broadband howto page is one of the very few pages that are in what I
call 'perfect shape' and provides very good information. No offense
meant for other contributors. So suggestions for restructuring are
welcome. Let us use talk pages as discussion mechanism.
3. We are using very old version of Mediawiki, 1.5. So I think it is
better to look into upgrade of the software to 1.7. This will enable
us to install some plugins for calendar, captcha etc. Having a
calendar is the most importanmt thing now. And having a captcha
mechanism will prevent bot attacks in future. G0SUB please take up
this task or provide us the necessary information needed for this
upgrade.
4. This is call for new contributors to try using existing
infrastructure. Let's say we try it for next 6 months. If it doesn't
work out then we can consider other solutions.
5. Sine most of the old members are busy with their jobs and personal
lives, I think it is time to pass on the admin rights to new members.
We can have a meeting on this weekend on #ubuntu-in to decide who
administrates what.

No a request. Let us not point fingers. It is obvious that new members
don't know what are the contributions of old members. Also it is
obvious that old members can not easily know the potential that new
members have. :-)
So lets try to work together and reduce this generation gap. :-)

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.