[ubuntu-in] Display Problems

Sayan Chakrabarti s26c.sayan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 07:32:31 GMT 2006

I have clean-intsalled Ubuntu Edgy on my system using the alternate install
Cd. My video card is an integrated Intel 82845G, so i chose the i810 video
driver while configuring X. Later, I gave the appropriate sync. ranges for
my monitor (Horiz : 30-54 KHz & Vert. : 50-160 Hz). however, when I tried to
start x, nothing came up except a black screen. so I decided to do a 'sudo
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' again, where I chose VESA as my driver. Now I
can start X, but it is restricted to a poor display of 640 X 480. Is this
the maximum I can get with VESA and my card? Or can I somehow get a better
resolution of 1024 X 768.

Further, I had also installed Mepis 6.0 and Debian sarge on the same machine
(just for testing) . I chose i810 as my driver in both cases. Debian (which
uses xfree86 instead of xorg as xserver) worked absolutely fine.I could get
the desired 1024 X 768 resoultion after a little reconfiguration.
As for Mepis,it does show amomnetary black screen on booting, but soon that
too worked fine with desired resolution.

So what's wrong with Ubuntu? and what is the solution?

--
Sayan Chakrabarti

Kolkata,India.

Alt. E-mail : s_26_c at yahoo.com