[ubuntu-in] The Community Stucture

Baishampayan Ghose b.ghose at gnu.org.in
Mon Mar 27 06:20:26 BST 2006

Vidya,
> Please explain how does discussing things openly on the list become a
>  grievance. This Ubuntu-IN list exists precisely to discuss matters
> pertaining to the Ubuntu-IN team and team structure or policy matters
>  which are an important part of this team. In the absence of IRC logs
>  this is the only way to maintain transcripts of community
> discussions. Also, Ubuntu-IN can have people from all over the world
>  participating, so please keep in mind that IRC is real time and
> everybody cannot participate in every discussion due to timezone
> differences and personal work / life, etc... So, it will be highly
> appreciated if important decisions made on IRC get summarised on this
>  list after the discussion so that people who aren't online know
> what's going on.
I agree with summarising important decisions made on IRC here. But I
don't really agree that _all_ discussions are to be made public on this
list. Lists are archived and are searchable. I don't think that it's
perfect to indulge in sensitive discussions here. For example, why is
the archive of the list technical-board at lists.ubuntu.com not public?
Because, there are a few occasions where you just can't wash your dirty
linen in public.

> ... So how does one get experience and how can Ubuntu-IN increase the
>  current pool of volunteers? I would like to hear your ideas on this.
>  Ubuntu-IN has to ensure that projects are independent of the persons
>  working on them so newcomers should be encouraged to assume
> responsibility and sufficient mentoring should be provided to them in
>  a way that allows them to evolve as contributors to Ubuntu. Hence
> Anurag, if you are willing to mentor newcomers for any task/s, then
> please list yourself here[0], like B.Ghose has already done. That is
>  the only way this community will ensure a ready pool of volunteers
> trained for technical tasks related to Ubuntu-IN. People seriously
> interested in taking Ubuntu-IN community ahead should volunteer
> first.
We are already mentoring people in relevant projects. The SysAdmin job
is totally irrelevant to this project. Teaching people how to maintain a
mail server or a website is beyond the scope of this project. And in any
case, it's not a good idea to mentor people on admin jobs on a live and
production machine. We also need to note that the server that we are
using for the website is shared by two more LoCo teams and possibly more
in the future. Who will be responsible if their set-up is somehow b0rked
by a newbie sysadmin? And in anyway, do we need more sysadmins? I am
already there at the moment. Soumyadip is also there. If you think that
there is a bottleneck, we will surely consider increasing the strength.
Regards,
BG

- --
Baishampayan Ghose <b.ghose at ubuntu.com>
Ubuntu -- Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com/

1024D/86361B74
BB2C E244 15AD 05C5 523A  90E7 4249 3494 8636 1B74