Computer suppliers information

Mark Murphy write2mcm at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 3 09:08:04 UTC 2013

ETek is an Irish company based down near Macroom in Cork who sell PCs with the operating system of your choice. They used to manufacture their own PCs back in the '90s, but just looking at their web site now I'm not so sure they do anymore. Trade enquiries are also welcome, according to the website. http://www.etek.ie

Komplett sell desktop PCs without an OS pre-installed. http://www.komplett.ie Some nice PCs on there too.

As far as I know, it is not that it is illegal to sell a computer without an Operating System, it's just that most manufacturers have already paid Microsoft a licensing fee for Windows, so it makes sense to put that Operating System onto their computers.

I'd be slow enough to buy any computer gear from the States, or anywhere outside the EU, unless you're prepared to pay all the taxes and duties due once it's in the country. And the VAT is calculated once all the other duties have been lumped on. Unfortunately I speak from experience. And it can be an unpleasant experience. It might be different for trade though, the retailer may know more.

Thanks and Regards,

Mark.