Any appetite for an Ubuntu Ireland Team Reboot?

Andries vanTonder ajvantonder at eircom.net
Sat Nov 17 23:22:48 UTC 2012

I am on disability pension - and would like to get better involved. My
disability is physical not intellectual, although my brains is rusting
up a bit.

My first problem is that I do not have money to pay for an officially
recognised course.

I was an expert, many years ago when operating systems like NOS, CP/M,
PCDOS, DRDOS and MSDOS were the in thing. With Windows I progressed up
to Windows 98. That will explain how far I am behind. Programming wise I
used to be conversant in BASIC, COBOL, dBASE (up to III), Pascal,
Assembly.

About UBUNTU, I cannot even get my scanner working but I am keen to
learn and have another 20 or so years where I can be of help provided
that I get learning again. (I am only 60).

To get me really involved I need someone to "manage my learning". Any
suggestion will be welcomed.

Firstly, I need to learn and understand the basics - disk maps, basic
I/O, - the equivalent of io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com (using dos as
an example).

Who is there to help me? As a retired college lecturer I am willing to
reformat the knowledge I gain into lectures to help others (where
needed).

BTW - my 11 year old son is also a big UBUNTU fan and has bought several
scrapped PC's to life, saving their owners lots of money.

--
Andries vanTonder
  ><>
37 Delmere, Enfield, Co. Meath