[ubuntu-hardened] Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, EoL and security updates.

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Mon Jun 15 17:42:39 UTC 2015

On 06/15/2015 10:26 AM, Daniel Curtis wrote:

> ​Hi John
>
>>> You can continue to receive updates for packages that are shared
>>> between Xubuntu and Ubuntu. Ubuntu 12.04 has support on
>>> the desktop and server until May 26, 2017 (...)
>
> Yes, I know that Ubuntu has support until 2017, but even despite the
> fact Xubuntu 12.04 is no longer supported, as it reached 'End of Life'
> status, I've still receiving security updates for important packages,
> such as Linux kernel, Firefox etc. Honestly, I'm surprised by this fact.

Any package that is a shared with ubuntu and a supported ubuntu package
(ie not universe or multiverse) will receive updates until 2017. This
includes kernel, Firefox, etc.

The Xubuntu specific packages no longer receives updates

>>> you can always choose to run a version of *buntu that no longer
>>> receives support. The question is your tolerance (...) over time
>>> as secrity issues are discovered they won't get fixed (...)
>
> True. But I want to know if I can use Xubuntu 12.04 for some time
> even after 'End of Life' status? It's just a matter of a couple of weeks.
yes, you can use it for as long as you like. The longer you use it the
more out of date the unsupported packages will be

> Nothing more, nothing less. Since there are security updates provided
> for packages I'm using... Maybe it is not that wrong?

I do not know the status of the Xubuntu packages that are no longer
receiving support. In general, ideally when something goes out of support
it has at that point been patched for all known CVEs, and over time
new CVEs maybe discovered but the package will not be patched (because
it is no longer supported). So over time known vulnerabilities against
the package will accumulate.

>>> (...) So the packages that are shared with Ubuntu will continue to
>>> receive updates from Ubuntu for 2 more years.
>
> Do You want to say, that I can use Xubuntu 12.04 even for two more
> years with all security updates for packages etc? Of course I'm kidding
> right now, but is that true? I'm sorry for such naive question, but... that is
> amazing, really interesting thing :- )

No. I am saying the packages that Xubuntu shares with Ubuntu will receive
security updates. Xubuntu has several packages that are not shared and will
not receive updates.