[ubuntu-hardened] root user in the netstat command results.

Daniel Curtis sidetripping at gmail.com
Sat May 10 09:58:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

I searched for a informations on the web and everything
seems to be okay. But to be honest, there is not many of
interesting, valuable answers and results on this issue.

It's about 'netstat' command and the result. When I'm
running this utility with e.g. '-tue' flags, I'm getting (NOTE:
I cut the rest of the results columns such as: Proto, Recv-Q
or Send-Q etc.):

* State: FIN_WAIT1
* User: root
* Inode: 0

When I'm running 'netstat' with a '-tapen' flags, results look
like this one:

* State: FIN_WAIT
* User: 0
* Inode: 0
* PID/Programe: -

I would like to ask if there is everything okay, that 'root'
user is mentioned as a results? Of course, there are also informations
about regular user and, for example, he is
mentioned as 1000, State is ESTABLISHED and Program
name is Firefox. That's only for complementation.

So there is nothing to worry about, and a result with a
'root'/'0' user is absolutely normal?

Best regards.