3.19.x on xenial - out of date Ephy/Webkit and touchpad settings b0rked

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Thu Mar 3 03:59:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:

>>>  Also, the touchpad settings in gnome-control-centre are being
>>> completely ignored. None of the UI elements relating to the
>>> touchpad seem to
>>>  have any effect on my Macbook Pro's built-in touchpad, nor my
>>> external Apple Bluetooth touchpad. Natural scrolling is not getting
>>> enabled when
>>>  it set to On, Tap-to-click is not enabled when set or On, and
>>> disabling  the touchpad by setting it to Off does not work either.
>>> I don't know
>>>  if this is related to the UI refresh or something else, any
>>> suggestions?
>> I don't have a macbook, but I will take a quick look at this on my
>> laptop and see if its the same, when I get a chance.
>
> That would be great, ta!

After a bit of investigation, the problem doesn't occur under X11 when
using libinput instead of synaptics/evdev as the input driver -
removing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and xserver-xorg-input-evdev,
installing xserver-xorg-input-libinput and restarting my X session
fixes it.

Since using evdev/synaptics worked fine under Wiley with Mutter 3.18,
I'm not sure if the problem is with changes to xorg/evdev/synaptics in
Xenial or a bug in Mutter 3.19.

Any suggestions where I should report the bug?

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>