3.19.x on xenial - out of date Ephy/Webkit and touchpad settings b0rked

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Thu Mar 3 01:36:33 UTC 2016

Hey Tim,

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Tim <darkxst at fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>  The only packages available for Epiphany/WebKitGTK are out of date
>> - 2.18.x/2.10.x, and these seem to have theme issues - certain
>> in-page text
>>  and button labels are not being rendered correctly, so they are not
>> visible at all. This makes it pretty unusable. I'm attempting at the
>>  moment to build a deb of webkitgtk-2.11.91 so I can build Ephy
>> 3.19.x, to see if that fixes the problems.
> If you can get working builds, send me debdiffs of the updates and I
> can sponsor uploads to the ppa for you ;)

I built WebkitGTK okay and it seems to resolve the in-page problems, my
packages are currently a bit of a kludge though. I'd be happy to send
debdiffs if I can clean them up - is there a good guide for updating
upstream versions for packages maintained in DVCS repos?

>>  Also, the touchpad settings in gnome-control-centre are being
>> completely ignored. None of the UI elements relating to the touchpad
>> seem to
>>  have any effect on my Macbook Pro's built-in touchpad, nor my
>> external Apple Bluetooth touchpad. Natural scrolling is not getting
>> enabled when
>>  it set to On, Tap-to-click is not enabled when set or On, and
>> disabling  the touchpad by setting it to Off does not work either. I
>> don't know
>>  if this is related to the UI refresh or something else, any
>> suggestions?
> I don't have a macbook, but I will take a quick look at this on my
> laptop and see if its the same, when I get a chance.

That would be great, ta!

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.