[2016-Goal#1] A NEW Server for Ubuntu GNOME

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 4 08:25:29 UTC 2016

On 04/01/16 01:57, Jprzybytek at yahoo.ca wrote:
> So you are saying canonical does not give you ftp,ssh,mysql, and cron?
I believe (well assume) the current wordpress site, is just an instance on a multisite wordpress server. This does mean we don't have access to
the underlying system, and do need to contact Canonical support to get themes/plug-ins installed etc and they are generally slow to
respond/action requests.

That said no one actually knows if Canonical can provide as a more suitable server, because no one has ever asked. We just asked for a wordpress
site at the time when it was setup. Maybe they can give us a VPS or cloud account, if asked, but then someone needs to admin it.

I really don't think the current hosting thing is what has blocked the new site, I have never seen anything more than a mock-up of the new site.
Apart from a large debate over Wordpress vs someother CMS, not much ever seems to have been done. The delay of getting a new theme installed on
the Canonical server would be miniscule compared to the time we have waited for the new site!