Website request: include an easy-to-get-to link to downloads

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Mon Nov 16 06:31:48 UTC 2015

Hello Steve and everyone else,

My apology for the delay but I don't login here when it's the weekends. I
take 2 days off from everything hoping to recharge and think clearly to
solve my problems during the week and working at home, etc etc. So Sat and
Sun are my off days :)

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:43 AM, Steve Lorimer <steve.lorimer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> IMHO, I think it is frustratingly difficult to download Ubuntu Gnome.

Appreciate your feedback :)

> Here is how you currently download:
>
> Google Ubuntu Gnome
>
> This leads to https://ubuntugnome.org/
>

> Read the page until you see: *The latest stable release is Ubuntu GNOME
> 15.10.*
>
> This leads to a blog post:
> https://ubuntugnome.org/ubuntu-gnome-15-10-is-released/
>

> Read until you see: *Get Ubuntu GNOME 15.10. *Click on *Download Ubuntu
> GNOME 15.10*
>
> This takes you to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME
>

> Read until you find *Please use the torrent link to download. *Click on
> that link.
>
> This takes you to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent
>

> Read until you find *Ubuntu bittorrent files can be found at
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/ <http://releases.ubuntu.com/>. *Click on that
> link.
>
> This takes you to http://releases.ubuntu.com/
>

> Find and click on the appropriate link: *Ubuntu GNOME*. Click on that
> link.
>
> This takes you to http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/
>

> Click *15.10*
>
> This takes you to http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/15.10/
>

> Click *release*
>
> This takes you to
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/15.10/release/
>

> Find the appropriate file: *ubuntu-gnome-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent*
>

> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/15.10/release/ubuntu-gnome-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent
>

> Would it not be reasonable to have a link to the torrent directly on the
> homepage?
>
> Something like:
>
> *Download latest version 15.10 via BitTorrent*
>
> For reasons why bittorrent is best, and other ways to download if
> required, *click here*.
>

> HTH
> Steve

IMHO, the way you explained and described it is really hard for anyone.
Allow me to make life much easier for you and the rest :)

Let's start from zero:

   1. Open your browser.
   2. Type: ubuntugnome.org and then press Enter.
   3. Go to "Download" tab on the top of the page directly if you're
   willing to download any version without reading anything else and find the
   last link that says "Download Ubuntu GNOME" and by the way, the page is
   short so no need to scroll down a lot to reach there anyway *- OR -*
   simply go directly to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME
   and I'd suggest here to bookmark that very important page.
   4. On the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME page, you
   will find a tree-view links on the right side of the page. Click on the
   version you wish to download and get.
   5. Once you choose which version you need, you will go to the desired
   page. There are 2 pages, one for the Non-LTS and the other for LTS
   releases: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME/LTS and
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME/Non-LTS and that's
   all.

So, which scenario is easier now? ;)

Of course, there is a reason and a very valid one why I haven't made it a
one-click download. Because people are too lazy to read the release notes
and then, they rain our mailing list with tons of emails complaining ;)

If you want me to make it one-button download links then please, do find
some extra hands to help us here!

Otherwise, it is usually one 3-5 people are active and the rest are? no
idea ...

Hope that helps?

Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

*http://kibo.computer <http://kibo.computer>* - http://torios.net - Ubuntu