Anyone running with the Gnome3 Team PPA?

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Mon Feb 10 17:11:22 UTC 2014

Hi and thanks for your email,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Christian Dysthe <cdysthe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 13:20 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:32:39AM -0600, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> > > I now have Ubuntu GNOME on all my laptops. One one of them I'm able to
> > > live a little bit on the bleeding edge and wondered if the Gnome3 Team
> > > PPA is worth trying. Is anyone here running it, and is it usable for
> > > daily use for someone who can live with a glitch now and then?
> >
> > I'm on Ubuntu 13.10 with the gnome3-team/gnome3 PPA.  It has GNOME 3.10
> > instead of 3.8.  There are some minor buglets (e.g. Alt-RMB dragging to
> > resize triggers https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/+bug/1272392;
> > shield background in the lock screen is confused by multi-monitor
> > changes and sometimes shows up black).  Otherwise it's perfectly usable.
> >
> > > The PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3
>
> I did try the PPA on the test machine, and it works well. I saw
> somewhere that you should do a ppa-purge before you do a major update
> like from 13.10 to 14.04, so I wanted to try ppa-purge but it was not
> working very well. In fact I could not log in after I did it. Doesn't
> really matter on that machine though. I just wonder if it was only me,
> or if ppa-purge isn't really up the task with such a massive PPA
> updating everything Gnome and GTK?

With a quick google search, I found this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/42895/is-there-a-tool-to-update-my-ppa-sources-list-entries-after-upgrading

I am not a big fan of any PPA. I don't use that unless I have to for
whatever reason.

AskUbuntu is  a great place to find good answers for many questions and
Ubuntu Forums is a not bad place too.

Not directly about PPA thought:

> I would also like to ask you if you have done a major update with that
> PPA enabled, or if you simply do a clean install between Ubuntu
> versions?

That is a good question but unfortunately, I am the wrong person who could
answer this :D
I have done a system upgrade from a release to another one time only as far
as I remember and I don't think I had any PPA.

I always do a clean install.

In fact, I don't have time to use any system because I contribute and do
lots of tests, etc:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad

Also, I am not a fan of 'new' releases. As long as everything is working
fine, I won't bother and waste my time to upgrade or do a clean install :)
that is why, I chose Xubuntu 12.04.3 to be my main system so I don't have
to do clean install nor upgrade every 6 months.

Thank you!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs

> > Yep, that's the one.
> >
> > Marius Gedminas
>
> --
> //Christian
> Dropbox - Your stuff anywhere! - https://db.tt/U8MqkVR

*Remember: *"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage>
Join Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GettingInvolved>
Test Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing>
Contact Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs>