Anyone running with the Gnome3 Team PPA?

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Mon Feb 10 17:28:52 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 18:06, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 13:20 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:32:39AM -0600, Christian Dysthe wrote:
>>> I now have Ubuntu GNOME on all my laptops. One one of them I'm able to
>>> live a little bit on the bleeding edge and wondered if the Gnome3 Team
>>> PPA is worth trying. Is anyone here running it, and is it usable for
>>> daily use for someone who can live with a glitch now and then?
>>
>> I'm on Ubuntu 13.10 with the gnome3-team/gnome3 PPA.  It has GNOME 3.10
>> instead of 3.8.  There are some minor buglets (e.g. Alt-RMB dragging to
>> resize triggers https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/+bug/1272392;
>> shield background in the lock screen is confused by multi-monitor
>> changes and sometimes shows up black).  Otherwise it's perfectly usable.
>>
>>> The PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3
>
> I did try the PPA on the test machine, and it works well. I saw
> somewhere that you should do a ppa-purge before you do a major update
> like from 13.10 to 14.04, so I wanted to try ppa-purge but it was not
> working very well. In fact I could not log in after I did it. Doesn't
> really matter on that machine though. I just wonder if it was only me,
> or if ppa-purge isn't really up the task with such a massive PPA
> updating everything Gnome and GTK?
Hi,

If you run update-manager -d through the command line or if you update
through the Update Manager interface, any PPA's that you have added to
the sytem automatically get disabled and renamed in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/.

Once the upgrade has completed, you can either re-add the PPA or rename
the file under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. You would then need to open the
file and change the line from

# old distro (upgraded from)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/moka/faba-icon-theme/ubuntu /saucy/ main

# new distro (upgraded to)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/moka/faba-icon-theme/ubuntu /trusty/ main

Run apt-get update and if the package maintainer has built new packages
for the distro release then you should be all good to go. If apt-get
complains, disable the list file (rename to .list.save) and ask the
package maintainer to create packages for the new distro release.

I must admit I haven't done that in a long time, I normally just re-add
the PPA's I need again.

Hope that helps! :)

--
All the best,