Anyone running with the Gnome3 Team PPA?

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Feb 10 16:41:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:06:58AM -0600, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> > > The PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3
>
> I did try the PPA on the test machine, and it works well. I saw
> somewhere that you should do a ppa-purge before you do a major update
> like from 13.10 to 14.04, so I wanted to try ppa-purge but it was not
> working very well. In fact I could not log in after I did it. Doesn't
> really matter on that machine though. I just wonder if it was only me,
> or if ppa-purge isn't really up the task with such a massive PPA
> updating everything Gnome and GTK?

Good question.  I've never tried ppa-purge.  Judging from the manual
page it should work fine, since it's supposed to replace the PPA
packages with older official versions from the main archive.

> I would also like to ask you if you have done a major update with that
> PPA enabled, or if you simply do a clean install between Ubuntu
> versions?

I use Update Manager to upgrade to a newer Ubuntu version without
running ppa-purge first.  I'm technical enough to believe that I can
manage to recover from a broken upgrade, if something goes wrong.

Marius Gedminas
--
C is for Cookies.  Perl is even better for Cookies.