Ubuntu font in shell

Timo Kluck tkluck at infty.nl
Wed Mar 6 11:06:34 UTC 2013

Dear Ubuntu+Gnome enthusiasts,

I was wondering if you have considered using the Ubuntu font in the
gnome-shell instead of Cantarell? That's literally a one-line patch to
/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css and the result is
absolutely gorgeous.

I understand that we want to give an experience that's very close to
upstream, but we use the Ubuntu font in Gtk, too. I think upstream
would agree that for it to look good, consistency is more important
than the particular font used.

People who want to do this now may be interested in the following
workaround that prevents you from having to edit that file after every
package update:

make a directory `~/.themes/Adwaita-ubuntu`

copy the `/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/` directory there, and rename
it to `gnome-shell`.

Edit the file gnome-shell.css and replace

font-family: cantarell, sans-serif;

with

font-family: Ubuntu, sans-serif;

near the top (line 24 currently).

Then, install the user-themes extension and select Adwaita-ubuntu.

Best, Timo