Official Flavor and name

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 5 17:32:21 UTC 2013

On 5 March 2013 12:14, Bastien Traverse <bastien.traverse at gmail.com> wrote:
> To be honest I prefer the sound of "Ubuntu GNOME" to "Gubuntu", but for the
> sake of consistency I'd rather it to be named as the latter. IMHO it would
> show sobriety and "fairplay" compared with other flavors that don't emphasis
> their respective DE.

Uh, K-,X-,and L-ubuntu all emphasize their desktop environments.

> Once again, is the "likely" risk of confusion with the Google project the
> only reason to root for Ubuntu GNOME, or have the GNOME board or any other
> stakeholder expressed negative opinion about seeing it called "Gubuntu"?

Nope, the confusion with Goobuntu (which also had several news
articles published about it last year) is the primary reason that we
are not Gubuntu. GNOME does not own the letter G so we would not need
approval from them for that name.

Several pieces would need to be changed if we were to change the name
(the developer team, packageset, metapackage,
default-settings-package, mailing list, etc.).  Personally I'm not
interested in doing all of that work when there isn't a clear benefit.

We'll just add "Why not Gubuntu"  to our future FAQ.

Jeremy