Official Flavor and name

Bastien Traverse bastien.traverse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 18:05:28 UTC 2013

Thanks for the precisions.

2013/3/5 Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com>

> Uh, K-,X-,and L-ubuntu all emphasize their desktop environments.

What I meant is that they don't display the name *in extenso... *They just
use the first letter of the DE and stick it to the beginning of "Ubuntu".

Nope, the confusion with Goobuntu (which also had several news
> articles published about it last year) is the primary reason that we
> are not Gubuntu.

About Goobuntu, I thought it's been quite unheard of, and is not spelled
like ours... The confusion was probably greater with the other "Ubuntu
Gnome Shell Remix"  <http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.net/p/home/> or "UGR
Linux" <http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/>.

Anyway, your last point is absolutely valid: the tools are already there,
and it'd be quite a hassle to change them... But when you say:

> Personally I'm not
> interested in doing all of that work when there isn't a clear benefit.

Here I'm wondering: isn't visibility a clear benefit and asset for the
adoption and popularity of a flavor?

I switched from Win7 to Ubuntu in last December. It took me a little while
to figure out what the differences were between regular Ubuntu and K-, X-
etc (had never heard of DEs). But when I figured it out, I appreciated the
fact they were all following some common naming scheme ; to me it proved
they were sharing a common goal (supporting Ubuntu core) while willing to
offer another interface.
By standing for Ubuntu GNOME, this flavor places itself outside this common
framework. But... A clear FAQ might very well address the question.

Anyway, I'm just a late user giving his personal view ; as I told it sooner
I do prefer the sound of "Ubuntu GNOME" to "Gubuntu".

Thanks for the replies,

Bastien.