Online Meeting

Salwan salwanmax at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:09:51 UTC 2011

On 7/4/2011 9:45 AM, Processing Qbits wrote:
> I agree with what you say, but you didn't argue about my approach, you
> debated another point which is very interesting to me too.
>
> Who knows if the OpenSource really doesn't have backdoors? If you want
> to take the risk, you can just depend on whoever checks the source
> code....if you don't want to take the risk, you could check
> it...moreover, Who knows if the OS compiled on your machine is the
> same? Again, that's another choice to make, do I compile it? Do I
> trust whoever did?
>
> Currently, in my stage, I'm still developing/reading the source code
> of a famous microkernel...Minix....which should take me to a tougher
> kernel, perhaps Linux...or another Microkernel....but until then, I
> have no choice....unless perhaps to compile the ubuntu source
> code....which seems rather pointless because I don't know what I've
> compiled....That's my personal story
>
> The original debate's reply with an added challenge....Even if we
> checked and compiled every single OpenSource program on our PC's and
> Cellphones, we would still have ClosedSource software to deal
> with....not to mention the hardware....even if you tamper with the
> hardware, which is not possible in all cases....there might be a
> misleading chip that you do not know much about, if you remove it, it
> would disable the cellphone...what would you do then?
>
> All these questions and challenges lead us to one answer.....Do What
> You Can! If you can do something to protect yourself, anything, do
> it....taking the risk isn't a good option, it shouldn't be an option
> in the first place, but let's just say it's not a good option.
>
> Security theoretically doesn't exist in a pure form, as a challenge,
> people say that there is doesn't exist a 100% secure system....though
> things like OTP (which are very old but still used in secret agencies)
> (I know that because I've read an article yesterday and had a debate
> over it, I'm not a security expert)...challenge that very sentence,
> but let's just say "There isn't a 100% secure system"...
>
> Ok, we accepted that....but does that mean, since everything can be
> hacked, that we don't need security? What do we do?...the answer is
> "Do What You Can!"
>
> So allow me to collectively answer your email with that sentence....no
> need to kill yourself over security and in the end there are ways to
> still bypass your methods, but "Do What You Can!"
>
> Google's power isn't ok for me, I prefer distributing parts of my
> e-life around so that no one has it all....there are ways for people
> to go around it, but "I'm Doing What I Can!"...at least concerning the
> google issue
>
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Amahdy AbdElAziz <amahdy7 at gmail.com
> <mailto:amahdy7 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     In fact, and you know that, Android and Simbian are OpenSource,
>     and you can have full control on your small computer (the smart
>     phone) if you are using any of those OS's. But following the
> [...]
The way I see it, open source mentality was never about making
absolutely perfect secure software. (that's an impossibility actually)
It was rather a way to share code and build things as a community by
helping each other and building upon each other's knowledge and
experience. Nothing more and nothing less.
Most open source software is driven by the desire to build something
better than what's available for a specific task, or just to have fun :)

[warning] rant about closed source thinking follows...
But why did the open source mentality even exist and become a thing?
because there is the opposite.....
Everytime I see a developer who thinks that what he writes is sacred
Alchemy only he can ever figure out and create.. I feel sorry, that kind
of mentality can only take him so far. Furthermore, I noticed two common
traits that come with it, the absolute irrational devotion to one and
only one closed software solution, and that they usually dream about
working for Microsoft/Oracle one day.
Coding for them is a secret, not a way of life.
The ones I know are even very proud about their closeness, I even heard
a term that a "closed" friend coined to describe that mentality: the
black box.
Now, don't get me wrong I'm ok with closeness on the basis that it's a
personal point of view whether for individuals or companies, why would I
even care? However,... I care when I see a closed developer deliberately
misleading a newbie and throwing him into infinite loops, I get angry
and have to do something about it.</rant>

In the end, if you really really don't like your software (whatever it
was) you are the only one stopping you from developing your own stuff.
If you suspect open source software X of having a backdoor and that's
really really important for you, clone the repo and start reading :)