[ec2] [ubuntu-ec2] does vmbuilder command work to rebundle?

Eric Hammond esh at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 1 07:48:19 GMT 2010

Peter Wolanin wrote:
> Does the command listed here work?  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EC2Vmbuilder

Not recommended in its current state.  That references some very old
code and probably won't work very well.

> I'm trying to rebundle a 9.10 AMI and it seems to create an image, but

The word "rebundle" is generally used to indicate that you are bundling
a running EC2 instance into a new AMI.  There are a number of guides on
how to do this including:

  http://alestic.com/2009/06/ec2-ami-bundle

However, since you're pointing to vmbuilder instructions, I'm assuming
you want to build a new AMI from scratch.

I took the code used to build the official Karmic AMIs with vmbuilder
and created the following tutorial which documents steps a human can use
to build a new EBS boot or S3 based AMI from scratch:

  http://alestic.com/2010/01/vmbuilder-ebs-boot-ami

However, vmbuilder is not entirely necessary as you can simply start
with the image which is already built and customize it for your needs:

  http://alestic.com/2010/01/ec2-ebs-boot-ubuntu

--
Eric Hammond