[desktop] Call for help

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Thu Mar 10 17:19:35 UTC 2016

On 2016.03.10 08:06 Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:

> Hi Gunnar,
> According to the following articles [1] USC will be replaced by Gnome Software.
> I had a quick look at Ubuntu Help (in Raring). Chapter "Install additional software" will need a complete overhaul.
> I have installed Xenial Beta in Virtual Box, but here I still seen USC, which is empty at this moment.
> I guess it is still too early to rewrite this chapter.

I have what appears to "Gnome Software" on my test 16.04 Laptop computer.
At least it looks very much like the screenshots in your second link.

I found it by typing "software" into the box from that top left icon "search you computer" thingy.
I didn't find any USC.

Disclaimer: I am a server person, and do not know the desktop stuff well.

So, I am suggesting that the re-write should be able to proceed.

> [1] http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017152/linux/ubuntu-16-04-lts-will-dump-the-ubuntu-software-center-for-gnome-software.html
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/11/the-ubuntu-software-centre-is-being-replace-in-16-04-lts

... Doug