[Desktop] What's new in Ubuntu 14.04?

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Mar 17 03:07:05 UTC 2014

Thank you - I've wondered about what is new, having only barely tried it out so far.

I was confused by this text, unsure what it meant:
  "Support added for scaling Unity on a per-monitor basis"

After some googling, I'm guessing this is related to issues HiDPI monitors, e.g. where user interface elements and / or text can get so small as to be hard to read.  E.g. described here:

  [Phoronix] Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI
  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYzMTM

So I suggest saying more about that topic, employing easily searchable terms in ways which will make sense to 12.04 users, and adding a link for more info.

Thanks!

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/