utopic branch

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Fri Apr 25 10:59:05 UTC 2014

On 04/24/2014 11:59 PM, Kevin Godby wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> Before we create a utopic branch, I wanted to pose a question.
>
> Previously, each new branch has carried with it the entire history of
> the previous branches. This leads to quite large repositories that
> take quite a while to download.
>
> Should we instead create a fresh branch and copy over the extant
> files, abandoning the revision history?

That's strikingly backwards and defeats the entire point of revision control.

I would recommend following the best practice of branching what's been released (14.04) and maintaining that in a new
series, while trunk is always trunk and up to date,.

In fact, using bzr and Launchpad, the 14.04 series and trunk can be the same thing (and 14.04.01 releases made from the
14.04 series, which is still trunk) and the series only diverge when necessary.  I don't expect a lot of desktop changes
in 14.10.

Maintaining history is pretty much the point of revision control.  Truncating history is wrong and gets you nothing.  If
you don't want the entire history copied locally, you can check out only recent revisions.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb at canonical.com>