vUDS After Thoughs

Svetlana Belkin barsookmud at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 22:47:07 UTC 2013

On 11/24/2013 05:21 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph wrote:
> The first obvious issue is that the root page on
> help.ubuntu.com/community is actually an alias to a page called
> UserDocumentation, so that pops up in the header. Changing that will
> take a ticket to Canonical IS to fix because defining that default
> page is part of the wiki config file.

Maybe this can be an action item for someone to tackle?

>> As for documenting the workflow for new users, I'm willing to help who
>> is working on that.  I also know that somewhere on the list, LittleGirl
>> has explained the various things that we use for the documentation
>> workflow.  I think that should be added to the workflow page or a
>> subpage of the workflow page.
>
> Awesome, thank you! Was anyone formally assigned to work on this?

I think not, but I take this action item.  I was planning to write a few
guides on our workflow

>> As for more proactive approach for cleaning up the wiki, is this for all
>> of the wiki editing members of the team?  I know that eagles0513875 and
>> I are the (somewhat) self appointed curators of the wiki and I think we
>> should make a small subgroup with in the main team that works with the
>> wiki admins team to clean up the wiki.
>
> The wiki admins list should probably be reviewed and cleaned up. Sadly
> I think there are only a couple of folks on the list there who
> continue to participate actively:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-wiki-admins/+members#active
>
> I know Charles Profitt is still active, so perhaps we could grab his
> attention to help shepherd new contributors through the basics of wiki
> admining.

Agreed for both items.

> I think Svetlana and any other helpers will probably be added as
> admins pretty quick so no need for any separate subgroups.

Agreed, but my worry is that the admin team has power to do things that
could lead into data loss if not careful.  But this can be easily fixed
if the new members of the admin team (who want to activtly work on
cleaning the wiki) are trained before they start working on cleaning up
the wiki.  Or make backups of the pages to be deleted as a just in case
sort of thing.  But the question is where?  I think doing this on the
wiki will not work since it confuse users.

> I would  also like to pitch in with some of the more technical
>questions about  accuracy/datedness as needed but we don't need a team
> for this really, just communication on IRC and list :)

Just a wonder, what questions did you want to ask?

Svetlana Belkin
--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/belkinsa