vUDS After Thoughs

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 24 22:21:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Svetlana Belkin <barsookmud at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have some after thoughts from the recent vUDS roundtable mainly about
> the community wiki.
>
> Thanks to whomever brought up that the "Community Documentation" name
> for the wiki is incorrect.  I agree with that and I also agree with
> renaming it just to "Community Help Wiki".

It's already named "Community Help Wiki" in the header link on
help.ubuntu.com and technically that *is* it's official name. I think
this will just be a process of tracking down where we need to edit to
sync up this name across the wiki.

The first obvious issue is that the root page on
help.ubuntu.com/community is actually an alias to a page called
UserDocumentation, so that pops up in the header. Changing that will
take a ticket to Canonical IS to fix because defining that default
page is part of the wiki config file.

> As for documenting the workflow for new users, I'm willing to help who
> is working on that.  I also know that somewhere on the list, LittleGirl
> has explained the various things that we use for the documentation
> workflow.  I think that should be added to the workflow page or a
> subpage of the workflow page.

Awesome, thank you! Was anyone formally assigned to work on this?

> As for more proactive approach for cleaning up the wiki, is this for all
> of the wiki editing members of the team?  I know that eagles0513875 and
> I are the (somewhat) self appointed curators of the wiki and I think we
> should make a small subgroup with in the main team that works with the
> wiki admins team to clean up the wiki.

The wiki admins list should probably be reviewed and cleaned up. Sadly
I think there are only a couple of folks on the list there who
continue to participate actively:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-wiki-admins/+members#active

I know Charles Profitt is still active, so perhaps we could grab his
attention to help shepherd new contributors through the basics of wiki
admining.

I think Svetlana and any other helpers will probably be added as
admins pretty quick so no need for any separate subgroups. I would
also like to pitch in with some of the more technical questions about
accuracy/datedness as needed but we don't need a team for this really,
just communication on IRC and list :)

http://www.princessleia.com