vUDS After Thoughs

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 24 23:46:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Svetlana Belkin <barsookmud at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2013 05:21 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph wrote:
>>> As for documenting the workflow for new users, I'm willing to help who
>>> is working on that.  I also know that somewhere on the list, LittleGirl
>>> has explained the various things that we use for the documentation
>>> workflow.  I think that should be added to the workflow page or a
>>> subpage of the workflow page.
>>
>> Awesome, thank you! Was anyone formally assigned to work on this?
>
> I think not, but I take this action item.  I was planning to write a few
> guides on our workflow

Great, thanks!

>> I think Svetlana and any other helpers will probably be added as
>> admins pretty quick so no need for any separate subgroups.
>
> Agreed, but my worry is that the admin team has power to do things that
> could lead into data loss if not careful.  But this can be easily fixed
> if the new members of the admin team (who want to activtly work on
> cleaning the wiki) are trained before they start working on cleaning up
> the wiki.  Or make backups of the pages to be deleted as a just in case
> sort of thing.  But the question is where?  I think doing this on the
> wiki will not work since it confuse users.

Oh yes, the training from Charles (or whomever) will be required
before we add anyone as admin :)

I don't think we want to come up with an overaggressive policy of
copying pages somewhere else before deleting them. We have to put
trust in our admins that they will act responsibly and collaborate
with each other when they are uncertain.

Also worthy of note: the team has historically been very adverse to
deleting pages that aren't spam, preferring instead to put in a
redirect which saves history, preserves the link (which people may be
linking to) and sends the user to a different page which may have
relevant information. This policy can be discussed but I think it's
worthwhile to keep it instead of completely deleting pages.

>> I would  also like to pitch in with some of the more technical
>>questions about  accuracy/datedness as needed but we don't need a team
>> for this really, just communication on IRC and list :)
>
> Just a wonder, what questions did you want to ask?

I meant I'm available to answer technical questions that wiki admins
might have about the documentation, In addition to my volunteer work
with Ubuntu, I've been a professional Debian&Ubuntu systems
administrator full time for 7 years so my brain is full of the stuff
:)

http://www.princessleia.com