Historical questions

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun May 19 17:26:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 18 May 2013 06:09, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:

> On 2013.05.17 12:41 John Kim wrote:
>> I never heard of a doc.ubuntu.com either. What do we suppose
>> we do with the doc.ubuntu.com domains now, since it hasn't been
>> used lately for development purposes either?
>
> Well, that is what I am trying to figure out. If someone knows
> how to write files to that URL, and its sub-directories, maybe
> it would make sense to use it for development again.

The doc.ubuntu.com site hasn't been used for several releases as I
guess is obvious from the age of the material there. The way that it
used to work was that Canonical gave a few of us shell access to the
server and we had some scripts which automatically updated the website
with an html of the documents, for use as a preview site during the
development releases. What to do with the site now is up to the team,
but I would keep things simple and get rid of it.

In terms of how to access it, I'm afraid that someone will need to
liaise with the Canonical sysadmins, I haven't been able to access the
server for ages and I don't know anyone else who would be able to
either.

>> [3] shows me 'It works!' in bold characters.
>
> That page is the default web page for the Apache web server.
> It tells us that nobody has actually put any content there.
> I was just checking with the list, but I think it has
> not been used for years.

I can't remember what docteam.ubuntu.com was for. Googling for it I
see emails from myself from 2005, I strongly suspect that it was a
previous version of doc.ubuntu.com (so in other words, it can be
retired).

Matt