Suggestion: make language switching available in official web help for 12.10 and 12.04 desktops

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 15:33:06 UTC 2012

Hi :)
I thought all the wikis grew organically according to which problems people ran into or fancied writing about.  Also different languages have different concepts and structures so filing and naming systems that may make sense in English seem weird or confusing in other languages.  It's why translating sentences word-for-word doesn't work.

For the wiki i think that tends to mean not every page written in English is translated into other languages and trying to do so would be a TFN imo.  Some of the concepts and issues may be dealt with in other languages but possibly on different pages or grouped with different things.

I also thought that a lot of "LoCo" teams have the official website kinda translated but again they miss some pages and add others or do a small amount of re-organisation in order to make better sense for their scale of operation as well as for their language or conceptual issues.

It would be nice to have a drop-down offering different languages and it would be great to have that on each page in every language but ideally it would be configurable per page but by default point to the "Signpost" page of the language being moved to.  There is a search bubble at the top of all wiki-pages isn't there?
Regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

      request header in your browser. In Firefox, it can be done
>>(1) by editing intl.accept_languages preference at about:config page,
>>(2) in Preferences->Content->Languages window or
>>(3) by using an extension like Quick Locale Switcher.
>>
>>I think it's better practice for multi-language site to provide
      some control to select the language. It will make difference when
      a user is not sure he/she understands a sentence in his/her
      current language correctly and wants to consult the same page in
      another, or suspects a translation mistake. It will make checking
      translations for mistakes on-line faster and easier.