usb-creator Draft

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 9 10:31:00 UTC 2009

Hi Augustina,

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Augustina Blair<missaugustina at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've taken the opportunity to make a few relatively small edits to the
>> page in the light of your invitation
>
> I think that flows much better. I tend to over-explain and then whittle
> down. Is the naming convention LiveUSB or Live USB? I think I've seen LiveCD
> as all one word which is why I referred to it as a "LiveUSB".

I don't think either LiveUSB or LiveCD should be a word. I think
someone has got used to writing words like that from the CamelCase
technique used on the wiki and it may have stuck. I'm pretty sure that
they should be two words. Wikipedia agrees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

>> What's your plan for the document?
>
> I was under the impression that this was needed for the system docs because
> USB Creator didn't have a help entry. I more than happy to update the
> corresponding wiki page if appropriate. I created a branch in bazaar and
> once the text is approved I can tag it with DocBook and have someone review
> it.

You're definitely right that this is needed for the system docs and to
give the program a help button, but the only question is where we put
it. It can either go in the usb-creator package itself or it can go in
ubuntu-docs. I think it's a definite advantage putting it in
ubuntu-docs because that means that the team can continue to maintain
it and update it as appropriate, and it can take advantage of the
translation system that we use (it's pretty unlikely to attract
translations otherwise).

If we do put it in ubuntu-docs, the question is how it slots in. It
could go in as a separate document, but I'd rather see it as part of
an existing document. For example, the jockey docs are part of the
hardware.xml document found here -
file:///usr/share/gnome/help/hardware/C/hardware.xml#jockey. The only
place that I can think of to include this material is in the new
installation guide.

How and where the installation guide will be included in the system
docs is rather a discussion of its own so let's see what we decide
about that and then take it from there.

Anyway, great work on the guide and I think it will be put to very good use.

> It's Phil's call on if this material, or another version of it, needs to go
> into the installation guide. I think for the guide we had decided to focus
> on CD and make references to special cases for simplicity, but the IG team
> can correct me if I'm mistaken.

This is rather a nitpick and is probably also a point for another
thread, but I think it's a shame to refer to the people working on the
installation guide as a separate team. I was a bit concerned to see
specific teams being created in Launchpad for this. We're all part of
the documentation team and anyone on the documentation team should
feel free to get involved in the work or express opinions on this
idea.

My view is that given that usb-creator is in the default Ubuntu
installation, and plenty of devices don't have CDs but support USB, it
should definitely be included. Let's see what others think.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org