[announcement] apt links on the wiki

Andrew Sayers andrew-bugs.launchpad.net at pileofstuff.org
Fri Apr 10 13:44:56 UTC 2009

Robert McWilliam wrote:
 >                            ... Any example of an icon with text next
 > it that I can think of has both doing the same thing and breaking that
 > convention runs the risk of confusing users. ...

It doesn't bother me personally if icon and text point to different
places, but it takes me a while to get perspective on my own ideas, so
I'll assume I'm wrong about that for now :)

Matthew East wrote:
> This is different to Andrew's suggestion, I think, because he was
> suggesting using an icon for the link to the installing-software
> guide, rather than an icon for the apt link. But I like your
> suggestion more, it seems to fit the concept of not everyone having
> the ability to use apt urls. The problem is that it probably results
> in quite complicated markup. Maybe that can be overcome - what do
> others think?

I would like the ubuntu-fr approach if we used an icon that were no
taller than a line of text, and if the icon had alt text that read
"click here to install package foo".  At the risk of opening a big can
of worms, <<Apturl(foo)>> would be pretty simple markup...

	- Andrew