use of alerts on the help wiki

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 23 06:56:41 UTC 2008

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Andrew Sayers
<andrew-ubuntu-doc at pileofstuff.org> wrote:
> I've now branched the theme:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~andrew-bugs-launchpad-net/+junk/helpwiki-newtheme
>
> I've pushed a revision that fixes your bug and gets rid of the old
> options.

This looks great to me. The "Note" macro doesn't appear to be working
though, no text appears in the box for me, but merely the word "note"
in lowercase.

> I've tested these alerts in a wide range of browsers, and the
> only issue is that the icons all have white backgrounds, which interfere
> with the coloured backgrounds of the alerts.  Two solutions spring to mind:
>
> 1) Edit the icons to use transparent backgrounds.  This would break IE6
> compatibility, assuming it can be done at all

This seems to be the simplest solution. Actually, we have some
transparent icons: http://doc.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/common/images/admon/.
I'm not too worried about IE6 :)

We should probably use these transparent icons throughout the system docs too.

Thanks again for your work!

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org