[Implemented] Wiki banners

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 11 07:57:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Marc Kaplan <technospam at mkaplan.com> wrote:
> I have attempted to start sorting through the articles/categories to develop
> a very, very, very basic outline to give us something to start working with:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CategoryCategory/PageDiscussion/Draft

That looks like a decent start, but I think in order to work in the
long term, it's going to need to be simpler. I think what we should
aim to do is to reduce the existing list of categories, which is
already pretty comprehensive. The main task is to strip out categories
which are already covered by our "Tag" system.

When that is done, I think we'll find that we have a sane and healthy
set of categories.

> If we can come to a consensus on this order, here is my thinking:
>
> First, we go through the wiki and retag all articles to sort them by
> category.
>
> To that end, I would also like to propose a "Documentation Team" members
> page.
>
> On that page, members can be listed as working on either Official Docs,
> Wiki, Guides, or any combination therein.
>
> Then we ask them to list their specialties if they have any, by the
> categories that we have agreed upon.

I think again this is a nice idea, but in practice much too complex.
History tells us that maintaining lists of people on a wiki page is
very difficult to keep up to date, and more work than it is worth. We
have launchpad groups already -
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc/+members - and for me that is as
specific as we need to get. I don't really see much benefit in getting
more specific than that, because in the end, anyone can work on
whatever part of the wiki they like, and the same is true of the
ubuntu-core-doc team in relation to the System Documentation.

Obviously the wiki subteam in Launchpad isn't very well used or up to
date, so we could focus on improving the use of that particular
Launchpad team in order to make some improvements.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org