Announcing the Ubuntu Manpage Repository

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Wed Sep 10 19:28:10 UTC 2008

Dustin Kirkland wrote the following on 10.09.2008 05:17

>> I just wondered and therefore would like to ask if it is planed to have links
>> to those manpages mentioned above from within http://packages.ubuntu.com ?
>
> Sounds like a reasonable request.  I don't know who owns
> packages.ubuntu.com maintenance, but if you drop me a direct email, we
> can talk more about how you might like to see this implemented.

AFAIK the man behind p.u.c is Frank Lichtenfeld
frank aT lichtenheld dot de

>> Thanks for working on that
>> service. It really would be nice to have 'man' make uninstalled manpages
>> readable.
>
> Agreed!  I'm working my way through the code in "man" to get this to work.
>
> In the mean time, you can use this wrapper script:
>  * http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kirkland/ubuntu-manpage-repository/main/annotate/93?file_id=dman-20080613203748-5svg0enlms4jg5gb-1
>
> You could click on the "download" link, and save in your ~/bin
> directory, or some such, and chmod +x.  Then you can run something
> like:
>  * dman selinux
> on a machine that doesn't have selinux installed.
>

> :-Dustin

nice indeed.
I just found the first bug i think.  ;)

$ echo $LANG
de_DE.UTF-8
$ echo $LC_MESSAGES

[means LC_MESSAGES is empty]

$ man selinux
No manual entry for selinux

$ LANG=en_US.UTF-8 man selinux
No manual entry for selinux

$ ~/Desktop/dman selinux
[Returns nothing]

$ LANG=en_US ~/Desktop/dman selinux
[does work]

Ther are also some 'strange' manpages like:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/all/gearman-server/filelist

$ LANG=en_US ~/Desktop/dman gearmand
[Returns nothing]
$ LANG=en_US ~/Desktop/dman gearmand.1p