Announcing the Ubuntu Manpage Repository

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 03:17:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Thilo Six <T.Six at gmx.de> wrote:
> I just wondered and therefore would like to ask if it is planed to have links
> to those manpages mentioned above from within http://packages.ubuntu.com ?

Sounds like a reasonable request.  I don't know who owns
packages.ubuntu.com maintenance, but if you drop me a direct email, we
can talk more about how you might like to see this implemented.

> ...and want to add...
> You already received some bash... ahh critics.

Thanks....I have thick skin ;-)

> Thanks for working on that
> service. It really would be nice to have 'man' make uninstalled manpages
> readable.

Agreed!  I'm working my way through the code in "man" to get this to work.

In the mean time, you can use this wrapper script:
 * http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kirkland/ubuntu-manpage-repository/main/annotate/93?file_id=dman-20080613203748-5svg0enlms4jg5gb-1

You could click on the "download" link, and save in your ~/bin
directory, or some such, and chmod +x.  Then you can run something
like:
 * dman selinux
on a machine that doesn't have selinux installed.

:-Dustin