Wiki Overhaul, round 1

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 11 07:10:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Connor Imes <rocket2dmn at aol.com> wrote:
> Re: Recommended Page Deletions
>
> So, we have created a new Category called CategoryDeletion -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CategoryDeletion at Matt's request.

Thanks for doing this.

> I also marked people's homepages that were either empty or had links to
> wiki.ubuntu.com homepages for Deletion.  If anybody has objections to
> this, please speak up.  I would ultimately like email all those who have
> homepages and list emails on them to let them know that their homepages
> should be on wiki.ubuntu.com so that we can delete them later (to remove
> clutter).

Sorry, I answered your private email on this first before seeing that
you had posted to the list two, so you're getting this response twice.
It's inappropriate to delete these pages. There is a good reason to
have a homepage that forwards to the wiki, it's so that when you edit
a page, the username that appears at the bottom ("Last edited by
MatthewEast at xxxx") is linked to the homepage and people can contact
you. The reason for having a page that forwards to the other wiki is
to avoid maintaining two pages twice.

There may be the possibility in the future for usernames to link to a
launchpad account or a separate "Homepages wiki", but until that
happens, we should permit people to create a homepage on each wiki.

> Re: Outdated Pages
>
> Although I don't mind deleting them, some of the pages for unsupported
> versions of Ubuntu may want to be archived on wiki.ubuntu.com since I
> noticed they have CategoryArchive -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryArchive - this may be more appropriate
> for the core pages.

If a page could conceivably be updated or be useful in the future, it
shouldn't be deleted. If it couldn't be useful, then it should be
deleted.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org