Beginners Team wiki pages

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 07:07:55 UTC 2008

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Connor Imes <rocket2dmn at aol.com> wrote:
>> Matthew East wrote:
>>> Hi Connor,

>>> I think that ideally the material under the "Team" subpage should also
>>> be on wiki.ubuntu.com. If you are concerned that moving it would lead
>>> to links breaking, there is a solution - you can use a redirect on the
>>> old team page to point at the new page. Are there other reasons that
>>> you could be uncomfortable with moving it?
>>>
>>> The Beginners' team isn't the only team that has their wikipages on
>>> the help wiki, the same is true of the Wiki Team -
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiTeam. We have talked in the past
>>> about moving those pages, but we haven't yet got around to it. I will
>>> try and get to that in the next few days.
>>>
>> My primary concern is that pages outside of the wiki have it, like on
>> the forums, as well as people's bookmarks.  I know a redirect can take
>> care of that, it's just a bit of a hassle.  It would also require us to
>> go through and fix a lot of little things like links.  Right now I would
>> rather focus efforts on getting the actual documentation pages up to
>> speed rather than moving perfectly usable and fairly often used pages
>> between the wikis.  I agree though, these pages are in the wrong place.
>>  I will move them at a later time if it's not a thorn in anybody's side
>> at the moment.
>
> That's fine with me. On the subject of the documentation pages, what
> do you think about integrating the documentation into the rest of the
> material on the help wiki, rather than having a separate "Beginners"
> section?

At the request of users/members on the forums, the Beginners team has
started, just today, updating our FAQ page (see section 1, everything
else is old and will likely be removed).  This is bodhi.zazen's project,
so I think he should comment on that page specifically.
All the Guide pages at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/ are
likely going to be trashed as well, those also predate my involvement
with the team and are old and incomplete.  The BashScripting page is the
"baby" of one of our team members, I'm sure he would love to integrate
it with the normal help documentation.  I will discuss it with him.
However, the rest of that wiki area is used to keep the team organized
and is not help documentation.

> The reason I raise this is that our approach is generally that all our
> pages should be suitable for new users of Ubuntu, in terms of
> readability. In terms of structure, we always suggest that new pages
> should only be created where pages on the same subject don't exist, so
> that we can try and ensure that the wiki has a coherent structure, and
> so that users can immediately see where to go when they are doing a
> search for a particular subject.

Agreed, we have already trashed some of those old Guide pages, I just
wasn't quite ready to trash the ones that are still there, but again,
involvement with the doc-team will likely expedite that process.

> I think that a great approach for the Beginners team would be to
> integrate the material in their pages into the main body of the wiki,
> and then helping to ensure that the whole wiki is suitable for
> beginners by reviewing pages and generally testing the wiki
> (searching, the index, etc) from the eyes of a new user.
>
> Let me know what you think about this.

That's one of the primary goals of our Wiki Focus Group -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/Team/FocusGroups/Wiki
(actively undergoing development).

-Connor