Wiki Cleanup

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 06:59:30 UTC 2008

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Charles Davis <oldsoldier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> while working on the category cleanup page, Connor and I realized there
>> are many pages that are no longer useful and clutter the wiki. A primary
>> example would be the pages for Breezy.
>>
>> Since Breezy is unsupported and has no upgrade path we are trying to get
>> a consensus on the best way to handle this situation and similar
>> situations.
>
> This is a good question. I think that where a page is out of date but
> needs to be updated, we should leave it around, but mark on it that it
> needs to be updated. Where a page is outdated and a more updated page
> already exists, or it deals with subject matter that is no longer
> relevant in recent versions of Ubuntu, the page can be deleted.

For updating: a new category: CategoryNeedsUpdating (since Cleanup and
NeedsExpanion don't quite fit)
Duplicate/Unneeded page: If you want doc team members to be liberal
about this, we can just go ahead and do it, otherwise create
CategoryProposeRedirect and CategoryProposeDelete so it can be tagged
for discussion.  See next comments.

> I think Connor's idea of adding some more tags. We have already some
> discussion and ideas about that here -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpWikiQualityAssurance. Perhaps you could
> review that specification and in particular the list of proposed
> Cleanup categories.

There are some good ideas there, especially for tagging pages for
different versions of Ubuntu (if this can be done effectively and
efficiently for all versions or just supported versions).  Should we
outright delete pages designed only for unsupported versions of Ubuntu?
  I like the idea of redirecting to a page telling the user that they
need to update their OS to a supported version (mentioned in earlier
emails).

The wikipedia categories are interesting, we could run with that a
little bit, just not too much.  We at least have categories
NeedsExpansion and Cleanup already.

I think implementing a feedback system might be getting a little ahead
of ourselves, let's not bite off more than we can chew.

> It's really great to see some interest in cleaning up the wiki! With
> this enthusiasm hopefully we can push forward and implement that
> specification, and make the wiki a much better place for users.

The UF Beginners Team members are serious about getting involved.  I
think we should take full advantage of the current enthusiasm and move
forward quickly.  Since some of you have been with the doc-team for much
longer, we are relying on your guidance which is why we are staying very
active on the mailing list.  I think this summer is the perfect time to
get documentation up to speed - let's take full advantage of it!

-Connor