Wiki Cleanup

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 00:02:30 UTC 2008

Charles Davis wrote:
> Greetings,
> while working on the category cleanup page, Connor and I realized there
> are many pages that are no longer useful and clutter the wiki. A primary
> example would be the pages for Breezy.
>
> Since Breezy is unsupported and has no upgrade path we are trying to get
> a consensus on the best way to handle this situation and similar
> situations. These are the options we have considered:
>
> a) Delete pages that are for obsolete Ubuntu versions (unsupported and
> with no upgrade path)
>
> b) Redirect to a page stating that this version of Ubuntu is no longer
> supported and point them to a generic page with installation
> instructions or a current list of supported versions.
>
> In the case of pages for Edgy Support we know that Edgy has no repos, so
> we feel that leaving the pages that cover upgrading Edgy is appropriate.
>
> thoughts?
>

> Regards,
> Chuck

Perhaps creating some new Categories on Wiki and Help can be useful,
examples being CategoryProposeDelete, CategoryProposeRedirect,
CategoryProposeArchive - this would make it easy to tag the pages in
question since CategoryNeedsExpansion and CategoryCleanup just don't
quite cut it.
There isn't much point in keeping pages around with advice that can't be
used, so archiving might be a waste of time, esp. since some pages have
a mix of old and up-to-date advice.  Once pages have been tagged, we can
discuss them in email or IRC.  We can proceed with caution, but still in
a timely manner since our To Do list is rather long and cleaning shop is
a good way to start the process.
If we take this approach, all we really need to do before we get started
is to have an understanding of what types of pages are appropriate to
tag as such.
-Connor