Fwd: Mentoring Program

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 00:43:31 UTC 2008

I should have sent this to the group!

Here it is.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Mathenge <mathenge at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: Mentoring Program
To: Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com>

I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm one of those
students who applied
early, but never sent in any suggestions. My first project was to take
a look at the
desktop search tools, but bzr and docbook got the best of me.

The amazing dedication of the documentation team is simply astounding. I've been
reading the discussions and it's clear that the success of Ubuntu and
the community
support is because of people like you. Matthew, Doug, Phil and the
rest of the mentors.

I'm anxiously waiting the results of this thread. I know that it will
help students, like me,
learn how to use the tools and make better contributions.

One thing I know for sure, reading introductions from prospective
documenters, that
there's a lot of interest to jump in and help. We'd like to help, but
we don't know where
to start. Yes, I know. The mentoring system is supposed to answer that
question and
if I don't take the initiative then it breaks down. The suggestions
made in this thread
are really uplifting and I'm looking forward to seeing something real
come out of it.

Once again, great job guys!

Andrew.