Tech Review Findings

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 22:48:28 UTC 2008

Hi Nick,

Thanks for working on this.

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 20:29 -0700, Nick E. wrote:
> I recently joined the mentoring program as a tech reviewer.  I've gone
> through compiz-intro, compiz-configure, and compiz-problems.
> Remember, I'm still a beginner at this, so I need some advice about
> things I may have missed.  Also, the Technical Reviewing Documentation
> page says that I can fix the problems myself.  How do I do this?

To fix the issues you're uncovered you'll need to find the offending
sections in the DocBook files in our bzr repository, edit the files and
then create a patch. If you haven't got a local copy of the bzr branch
already, install the "bzr" package and type the following into a
Terminal:

bzr branch lp:ubuntu-doc

A copy of the repo will be made in a directory called "ubuntu-docs". In
that directory, navigate to desktop-effects/C and open the file
"desktop-effects.xml" in the gedit Text Editor. After that, it's up to
you to make the required changes. If you've not used DocBook before it
can take some getting used to, so please let us know if you'd like any
help with that.

Once finished with the editing you can follow the instructions on the
wiki [1; Making a patch] to create a patch and submit it to the mailing
list for review.

If you have any questions or run into problems at any point, please let
us know and we'll help you out.

> Compiz-intro
> - [desktop more fun and easier to use.]  I think it should be reworded
> 'desktop fun and easy to use'.
> - [Visual effects are enabled by default]  As far as I know, visual
> effects are not enabled by default.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the
> default is no visual effects.

It depends on your graphics card. If your card supports visual effects,
they should be turned on automatically post-installation (unless it's
changed recently?). Perhaps this can be clarified in the documentation.

> - [users of computers with certain] Somehow, I don't think the
> statement 'users of computers' makes sense.  The sentence should be
> reworded.
> - [or cause the computer] Should be reworded 'or they may cause the
> computer'.
>
> Compiz-configure
> - The directions at the beginning to open up Appearance should be
> italized.

These instructions seem to use the recommended <menuchoice> structure,
which gives a menu description in bold with special arrow separators.
Why do you think they should be italicised?

> - It is often quicker to open up Visual Effects through right-clicking
> the desktop background.  Perhaps this should be mentioned.

While true, I think it's better to stick to the intended route into the
preferences, since going in through the desktop background link isn't a
logically-discoverable path.

> Compiz-problems
> - Again, the navigating should be italized.
>
> This is all I found in these sections.  I also would like to know if I
> should post a bug report.  Anyways, comment on my work and give me
> some advice for next time.

Thanks for filing the bug report too. I'll copy a link to this post on
the report for reference.

Thanks again,

Phil

[1] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Repository