Keyboard key terminology

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:02:54 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

We have a bug [1] where the reporter recommends that we refer to the
Return/Enter key as "Enter" instead of "Return". It seems that we
currently refer to that key by both names in the documentation; I think
that it would be a good idea to standardise on one and put a note in the
style guide about it. The question is, which variant should we use?

It's worth noting that the GNOME Style Guide [2] recommends using
"Return". I also ran the following commands on the ubuntu-intrepid
branch:

$ find `pwd` -wholename "*/C/*.xml*" | xargs grep "<keycap>Return" | wc
-l
27

$ find `pwd` -wholename "*/C/*.xml*" | xargs grep "<keycap>Enter" | wc
-l
8

The reporter of the bug and another commenter feel that "Enter" is the
more commonly-used term, however. Does anyone have a strong preference
either way?

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/213104