Keyboard key terminology

Phil Bull philbull at
Wed Apr 9 16:02:54 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

We have a bug [1] where the reporter recommends that we refer to the
Return/Enter key as "Enter" instead of "Return". It seems that we
currently refer to that key by both names in the documentation; I think
that it would be a good idea to standardise on one and put a note in the
style guide about it. The question is, which variant should we use?

It's worth noting that the GNOME Style Guide [2] recommends using
"Return". I also ran the following commands on the ubuntu-intrepid

$ find `pwd` -wholename "*/C/*.xml*" | xargs grep "<keycap>Return" | wc

$ find `pwd` -wholename "*/C/*.xml*" | xargs grep "<keycap>Enter" | wc

The reporter of the bug and another commenter feel that "Enter" is the
more commonly-used term, however. Does anyone have a strong preference
either way?



[1] -
[2] -

Phil Bull

More information about the ubuntu-doc mailing list