Experienced Tech Writer, Absolute Unix N00b

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 17:39:31 UTC 2008

Hi Paul,

Welcome!

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 11:22 -0700, Paul Suliin wrote:
> I'm just now getting into Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular -
> I've used Linux and Unix systems a bit for work, but never had it
> installed on my own system. I'm planning to dual-boot 8.04/WinXP on my
> laptop as soon as Hardy is in stable release, rather than installing
> 7.10 and then updgrading two or three weeks later.  However I have
> over 15 years of experience as a technical writer, and I want to make
> a contribution to the Ubuntu community.
>
> So, how can I best help?  Is there anything that an experienced writer
> with barely enough Linux to understand cd and ls can do?  Or should I
> wait and watch and get used to Hardy Heron before I start trying to
> help with documentation?

Why not combine the two? It would be really great if you could take a
look at some of the relevant documentation while you're getting used to
Ubuntu and let us know if you run into any problems with it, find it
confusing or couldn't find some information which you think would be
really useful. We sorely lack end-user feedback, so something like this
would be particularly useful.

How does that sound?

> Either way I hope folks with put up with a few newbie questions here
> from time to time as I work on getting my arms around all of this.

Of course! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you run into any
problems.

Thanks,

Phil

--