Introduction and project proposal Ubuntu Desktop quickstart guide

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 10:36:05 UTC 2007

Hi Jan,

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 08:39 +0100, Jan van de Voort wrote:
[...]
> Would it maybe be a good idea to make a Quickstart Ubuntu Desktop
> installation and First Usage guide (translated in as many languages as
> possible, not only in English), in PDF format (downloadable) or in
> Paperback published format, about 60 pages. The focus would be on:
>
> -  quick installation of Ubuntu Desktop with all information necessary
> to install Ubuntu Desktop
> - updating / upgrading
> - printing basics
> - install extra components (flasplayer, java, wine, etc.)
> - windows compatibility basics
> - all information relevant to first use.

Have you seen the Switching from Windows guide[1]? I think it covers
most of those points, and the new topic-based help system should
hopefully take care of the rest. With any luck, the switching guide will
be included with the desktop install CD too, though I'm not sure how
that's progressing.

Was this the sort of thing you were thinking of?

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/switching/C/index.html

--