Mentoring Program

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 10:54:33 UTC 2007

Hi James,

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 11:05 +0100, James Heaver wrote:
> I've no idea who I'd like as a mentor, I don't know who anyone is.  :)

Good point! I'll be happy to mentor you, unless one of the other mentors
would like to jump in? I already have a couple of students, so I'm
trying not to be too greedy...

> In terms of what documentation I'd like ot work on - I'm not entirely
> sure what aspects there are really.  I don't want to work on anything
> too deep into the system, like setting up obscure network functions or
> anything.  Something more 'useful' and and everyday.
>
> Am I right in thinking that you want to make the documentation more
> task orientated?  Thats something that I'd liek to get involved in.

We did a lot of work on making the documentation topic-based last
release cycle, but it's far from perfect. It would be great if you could
help out in this respect.

> In terms of specific types of programme whatever I guess I'm most
> interested in media based programs, music, video, jukebox etc.  But by
> no means restricted to just that.
>
> I don't really know what needs to be done.

Some sections are quite sparse and could probably do with being
extended, such as 'Office' and 'Printing, Faxing and Scanning'. There is
a 'Music, videos and photos' section, although that is one of the more
complete ones.

It's probably best to take a look at the current state of the docs by
checking them out of SVN [1]. Then you can get some idea of what's
missing. If all else fails, we have a list of smaller tasks which you
might like to try your hand at [2].

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SVN