Topic-Based Thoughts

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 11 19:11:04 UTC 2007

Hi Phil,

Nice work over the weekend!

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 12:41 +0000, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a few (more) thoughts/questions on the topic-based help.
>
>  * Currently, networking is contained in the Internet topic. I think
> that it's probably going to be a big enough subject to have its own
> topic, especially when considering wireless networking. Does anyone have
> any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I intentionally included it into Internet because I don't think
that most users will separate the two. Only experienced users who know
what a network is will actually understand that it's not *only* about
connecting to the internet. I think it should remain in the Internet
section. Size isn't a good enough reason to abandon coherence, IMO.

>  * Should laptops get a topic of their own? Problems like power
> management, suspend/resume, touchpads and finding laptop testing reports
> could be covered.

This might fit into the "Hardware" topic that I had in mind, although I
take mpt's point about it being a bit general. I don't really think we
can justify including more and more topics than we have already,
otherwise it starts becoming too unweildy.

>  * Games is currently just a list of a few games. Would it be better to
> split games up into types of game (e.g. strategy, puzzles) and list a
> few relevant packages in each one of those sections?

Yes definitely.

However, games isn't a topic at all at the moment. It's just included in
the documentation but isn't linked to from the front page. Any ideas
about where is a good place to put it would be nice. Obviously it's
still available from the search.

>  * What is the scope of programming.xml? I'd quite like it to mention
> Gambas (an implementation of BASIC), as it's pretty nice for former
> Windows/VB programmers.

Sounds fine, yeah.

Matt
--